Piedmont Environmental Alliance & the Winston-Salem Community Action Coalition seek a highly motivated, enthusiastic full-time AmeriCorps VISTA to manage and build capacity for PEA’s core education programs.
Who We Are:
Piedmont Environmental Alliance (PEA) works every day to educate and empower people of all ages, build community, and inspire action to create a more just, resilient, and environmentally sustainable Piedmont Triad. Based in Winston-Salem, NC, PEA’s innovative education programs, annual events, and community-based advocacy projects engage thousands of volunteers, students, faith communities, businesses, and partner organizations in climate and environmental action. Learn more at www.peanc.org.
This role is part of the Winston-Salem Community Action Coalition’s AmeriCorps VISTA project, overseen by Wake Forest University. All applicants will go through the Winston-Salem Community Action Coalition process and will receive a stipend and benefits for service as listed here. Learn more about these details and how to apply by filling out this form.
The PEA Environmental Education VISTA will implement PEA’s K-12 education programs and build the capacity of the organization to grow these programs by recruiting and training volunteers and partners. A successful candidate will be an energetic and confident presenter, savvy event planner, and excellent volunteer manager. Responsibilities include:
- Manage PEA’s environmental education programs, including volunteer recruitment and implementation timelines.
- Present environmental education curricula to Winston-Salem/Forsyth County middle school classrooms, with the support of staff and volunteers.
- Organize an annual Environmental Debate Tournament for high school students in the Piedmont, including developing materials, recruiting teams, and event logistics.
- Recruit and train volunteers to teach environmental education programs. Develop tactics and relationships to create long-term pipelines of volunteers. Develop systems for training, scheduling, and following up with volunteers.
- Collect and analyze key performance indicators for programs.
- Maintain and strengthen key partnerships, such as the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County School District, university partners, local environmental nonprofits, and government agencies.
- Update education curricula with newest information and compelling and hands-on activities. Develop and implement new, and opportunities to expand learning outside of classroom.
We are looking for you, if:
- You love working with students to help them develop a love and respect for the environment.
- You are a dynamic speaker who is comfortable leading classes and training volunteers.
- You possess superior organizational skills and have a knack for logistics and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- You are a natural relationship builder; you work collaboratively and enjoy engaging with passionate volunteers from diverse backgrounds.
- You are a passionate community organizer, comfortable reaching out to people of all ages to involve them in our organization.
- You enjoy your work and are comfortable with striving for amazing results on a shoestring budget.
- You have a personal passion for the outdoors, environmental stewardship and sustainability, and demonstrate active engagement in environmental issues.
This is a full-time AmeriCorps VISTA position, part of the Winston-Salem Community Action Coalition overseen by Wake Forest University. All applicants will go through the Winston-Salem Community Action Coalition process and will receive a stipend and benefits for service as listed here.
Set up an online recruitment session to learn more or fill out this form. Application deadline is June 20th.